Planting native plants is one of the Center's primary strategies for habitat restoration in Debs Park, and habitat enhancement along the L.A. River. You too can create sustainable habitat by planting native plants at home or in your community! Native plants provide many benefits, such as:
- The provide food and shelter for local birds and native wildlife
- They can help local birds adapt and survive changing climates
- They are low maintanence
- They save water
- They can help control flooding
- They use fewer chemicals
- They help reduce noise and carbon pollution (less mowing and grass maintenance)
- They provide beauty and aesthetic pleasure
It’s a win-win situation for you (and your pocket!), local birds and wildlife, and the environment as a whole.
Through its Native Plants for Birds program, the National Audubon Society has compiled a number of helpful resources on native plants, the birds that they attract, and how to incorporate native plants into your backyard, balcony, or patio. Please check out the webpage for more info!
Sign-up to receive updates on our events
We send out periodic emails about programs, events, and volunteer opportunities at the Center.