NATIVE PLANT GIVEAWAY!
¡SORTEO DE PLANTAS NATIVAS!
Are you interested in planting a native plant garden, but don't know where to start? The Audubon Center at Debs Park is having a Native Plant Giveaway from June 6-7, 2020. FREE plant kits are available on a first come, first serve basis. Each kit will contain a maximum of five, one-gallon plants. Join the waitlist!
El Audubon Center at Debs Park va tener un sorteo de plantas nativas el sábado 6 de junio y domingo 7 de junio. Kits serán GRATIS, y estaran disponibles por orden de llegada. Cada kit tendrá un máximo de cinco plantas de un galón de tamaño. Lista de espera
No yard? No problem - a limited supply of balcony/apartment friendly kits are available. Unable to participate in this giveaway? Stay tuned for further giveaways in the future, or check out some of the local vendors below!
WHY NATIVE PLANTS?
Planting native plants is one of the Center's primary strategies for habitat restoration in Debs Park, and habitat enhancement along the L.A. River. You too can create sustainable habitat by planting native plants at home or in your community! Native plants provide many benefits, such as:
- The provide food and shelter for local birds and native wildlife
- They can help local birds adapt and survive changing climates
- They are low maintanence
- They save water
- They can help control flooding
- They use fewer chemicals
- They help reduce noise and carbon pollution (less mowing and grass maintenance)
- They provide beauty and aesthetic pleasure
It’s a win-win situation for you (and your pocket!), local birds and wildlife, and the environment as a whole.
Through its Native Plants for Birds program, the National Audubon Society has compiled a number of helpful resources on native plants, the birds that they attract, and how to incorporate native plants into your backyard, balcony, or patio. Please check out the webpage for more info!
HOW TO PLANT NATIVE PLANTS
[Planting Video Coming Soon]
- Weed around your native plant consistently to avoid competition.
- Re-mulch your native plant as needed.
- Water your native plant no more than 2 gallons per week for the first year (some can even be watered biweekly or monthly!). After the first year, when your native plant is established, it will survive solely on California’s annual rainfall - so no more watering ever again!
WHERE CAN I PURCHASE NATIVE PLANTS?
The Audubon Center at Debs Park does not sell native plants, however stay tuned for periodic giveaways. Many large garden supply store chains unfortunately may not stock native plants. Below are a few local vendors:
WHERE CAN I GET MULCH?
Mulching around your native plant garden helps prevent the growth of invasive species, retains water for your native plants, and provides the plants with important nutrients as it decomposes. Mulch can be purchased at most home and garden stores, such as Home Depot or Lowes. The City of LA also has a number of locations where you can load up on FREE mulch (self-serve).